Monday 20 August 2012

thinking musically-the collection-1-this is me

i heard the band"soft machine's""third"played by john peel on his staurday afternoon bbc radio 1 show"top gear"one summer day in 1970.it was always regarded as the graveyard slot in that 2-5pm on a saturday everyone would be doing something else-football,shopping or in my case mostly hanging out with friends in the market square,as another song says"avoiding skinheads and the law"

that day i stayed at home to listen tothe whole of"third",and then for the only time in my life ive ever done this,i charged aroundthe house to find every single penny i could find(pre-decimal)and with 33/-(33 shillings)shot down the market to buy the album.

its now 42  years old.i play it a great deal still.i still find new things in it,and it is my most teasured recording.if i lost all my other music,this is the one i would want to keep,to find,to buy again.

there IS BETTER music,but this holds the key for me.it would be my one treasure on any"desert island".id lie the whole deal-all 4 tunes across a double album,but if i had to choose only on eit would be "out bloody rageous"(this)or "slightly all the time".

why?

the whole album is just so beautiful-to me.it is so rich.beyond that i dont know much,excet that as im not a musician-ony steeped in music-its as if it was not just written for me,but it feels like it is me.i could not explain myself.id just give whoever asked,a copy of third to play.....and walk away as enigmatic as i think this music is.

yes,it is me.....



No comments:

Post a Comment